Saturday, June 4, 2011

California-Part 1

I got a call from my dad about two weeks ago. On May 17th my Grandma Pope (dad's mom) had passed away in the care facility she was staying at. She was 92 years old. This news was not a surprise to us, she had not been doing well for some time and it truly was a blessing for her to go. She had suffered from Alzheimer's (I didn't spell that right) and dementia going on 5 years and it really was her time. She was my last living grandparent. She is an amazing woman and I'm so happy to know her, that she got to see Owen and I married and meet Sarah Genevieve. SG inherited so much from her, its so fun to see. So much energy and a virbrant spirit, not to mention looks. She never did get to meet Cecily and wasnt cognicent enough to know of our news about baby boy, but I think she knows now :)

We flew out to California (where I grew up) to be with family, participate in the service and to go on a Pope family retreat. I was so grateful we could go. It was a long way to travel but we wouldn't have missed it for anything. My grandma was a Latter Day Saint church goer her whole life and lived in Peidmont CA so got to attend church at the stake building at the Oakland temple. I have fond memories of attending church with her as a child and thinking it was so cool to see the temple every Sunday. It was fun to share this place with my family and see our little girls enjoy being near the temple.

Thank you Owen for being the picture taker, sorry we didnt get you in :( He was there and looking sharp! Owen and I said the opening and closing prayers for the service and my sister Katherine and I sang a duet, which was awesome because our voices sound exactly the same and it sounds like one person singing. Seriously so cool. I've missed singing with her and was grateful for the opportunity.

Part 2 coming soon!! (The Vacation)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

0 comments: